Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Musings -- At the end of the day


I hate to sound clichéd but I can't think of a better phrase (right now) to use than "Time flies". As I'm typing this post right now, I recall the first blog post we were asked to write. I said that I wanted to be able to grasp crucial concepts about communicating effectively and bringing my ideas across well in different circumstances. And now, 13 weeks and 6 blogs posts later, I believe that I have gained more than what I had expected to.

Over this entire course of resume and report writing, taking minutes and drafting agendas, I dare say that I was truly exposed to every aspect of communication. The very fact that each ES lesson requires us to work with different groups of people, has enabled me to reach out and build relationships with every single one of my classmates. More importantly, I was able to expose myself to different kinds of people and make good use of various communication skills. Like Brad always says, "Know Your Audience" and knowing that each individual in my class is different, working with a different group each time stretches my communication vocabulary.

In my opinion, every assignment in this module has an associated communication skill that we can take home with. Tough as it may be, the process of writing the report has really equipped me with valuable team and oral communication skills. I also love the hype and enthusiasm that each lesson brings because of the seminar-style teaching. It allows greater teacher-student interaction which is diminishing in most other Science Faculty modules. This itself has inculcated in me, better communication among my peers and professors. What I find most interesting about this module is blogging because of the chance to read my classmates' blogs and gather their insightful opinions about various issues.

My understanding of the value of effective communication hasn't changed because I still believe that communication is crucial in every facet of life. However, what has changed were the skills that I have adopted throughout this course. Communicating professionally doesn't just include being able to write good resumes and emails, it also encompasses non-verbal and oral skills. Believe it or not, I have never done an oral presentation without constantly looking at my script. But after today's, it feels good to know that I was able to ramble on without needing much help from a script. YEAY!

For you readers, pardon this long post but I need to do this. Without Brad, our ever-so-approachable mentor and friend, I would not be walking away today with a sense of accomplishment. To my project group mates Lyon and Junrong, thanks for everything! To the rest of my friends: Weiren, Weikwan, HuiXuan, Oxy, WeiKin, Joyce, Angeline, Sammy, JunYen, XiuWen, Yuming, Peirong, Xin Yi, Eileen and Dongge (where have you been?), thanks for making this module the most enjoyable one! and PeiRong is right -- we have to take a class photo!

11 comments:

joyce said...

Dear Tiffany!

Time travels faster than the speed of light! No clichés here. Hahaha.. Oops. :S I often go 'gaga' at this time of the night. :p
I can still remember you asking Angeline and I about UROPS project after the first (or was it the second?) lesson in the lift! :) Congratulations! You made an impression. Being so willing to ask questions and to clarify doubts is also a form of effective communication too. You rock!

weiren said...

Hi Tiffany!

I congratulate you for the great presentation you team has done on Tuesday.

You're right! We certainly have to take a class photo. (What a reminiscence of high school days)

It's been a great pleasure knowing you in class.

Cheers.

Tiffany said...

Hi Joyce!

I'd have to thank you for giving me information about UROPS too! I believe all of us have made a whole new bunch of friends in this module and have learnt a great deal from Brad. I especially like listening to his stories! That, I feel, is a great way to engage with your audience! Personal experiences really gets the audience intrigued!

I really enjoyed having you as a classmate! You are Awesome!

Tiffany said...

Hi Weiren,

Thanks! While presenting, I saw that your group was listening very attentively and I was really encouraged by that too! Despite what Brad said about the long presentation, I think you guys did a great job.

It was great knowing you too! and I hope your zookeeper dreams will be fulfilled soon.

Hui Xuan said...

Hi Tiffany,

I agree with you, "Time files" and I feel that it's not cliché at all!

"...love the hype and enthusiasm that each lesson brings..." I totally agree. It makes lessons so much more interesting. (:

Tiffany said...

Hi Hui Xuan,

Yes! I love the fact that our class is always so lively! And no matter how tired I am, going for ES class always lifts my mood up! This is the only module which I haven't dozed off during class yet!

Hui Xuan said...

Hey Tiffany,

wow! You've replied! I've just commented not too long ago only. Anyway, see you in class tomorrow with your cup of drink! LOL.

All the best for you exams too!

Sammy said...

Hi Tiffany,
It is a nice photo, sad that I missed your well done presentation that day. I was actually listening to it outside the door. Although I missed the visual part of it, but I heard most of them, I found there are many interesting info inside also.

Thanks for your comment earlier. ya, although we didn't interact much, it was a great learning experience with you as well, I have learn many things from you also.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tiffy!

I am quite surprised that you have never done a presentation without constantly looking at the script. Cos I think you did really fine on Tuesday!

And I just realised the many interesting widgets on your blog. I like the Obama clock!

Oh yes, hope to see you in the East someday. One whole semester and I still haven't met you in the East. You have been secretly hiding from me right? HAHAHAHA. Just joking.

Good luck East Sider, with your exams!

Brad Blackstone said...

This is a wonderful "final" post, Tiffany, as focused as ever on the essence of the "thing" (in this case, our course). Let me wax verbose as well and say that I have come to truly appreciate your insightful posts and reader comments throughout the term, and it has been my great pleasure to work with you on this path of mutual discovery and learning.

Great photo you've added to this post, too! What a cool looking group of people!

All the best for a great journey on your future path!

Brad

Wei Kwan said...

Dear Tiffany !

That photo looks great with the three of you grinning away with Brad. I think you guys should endorse toothpaste :D I felt that you were very confident during the presentation and you seem to know your stuff very well. It's quite surprising to me that you need a script for your previous presentations. It is really great to know that you can now give presentations without much help from a script anymore :)